[TriLUG] Positions with Google in NC

Jim Tuttle jtuttle at prairienet.org
Tue Feb 20 20:52:17 EST 2007

> > Message: 18
> Date: 19 Feb 2007 16:35:18 -0500
> From: jonc <jonc at nc.rr.com>
> Subject: Re: [TriLUG] Positions with Google in NC
> To: Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list <trilug at trilug.org>

>> > I guess I'm only tangentially in the IT field the rest of you are in-
>> > I'm a digital librarian at NC State.  About half of what I do is system
>> > administration and application development.  I had an opportunity
>> > recently to go to a dot com, which seemed great.  I'm sure I would have
>> > loved it and it payed more than I make at State, but I suspect that they
>> > were pretty demanding in a not-so-family friendly way.  My wife and I
>> > don't have kids, but it's nice to know that we're in a good position to
>> > should we so choose.
>> >
>> > Also, it's unlikely that NC State is going to fold any time soon.  I do
>> > keep telling myself, though, that if IBM or Redhat has an opening for a
>> > librarian/ corporate taxonomist/ information architect, I'd apply.  I
>> > don't have any sense how they treat people, but it can't be too bad, right?
>> >

>> > Jim
>> >
> Jim,
>
> The dot coms really aren't that bad. You spend all your time there
> because it's fun, you fit in, and it feels like family.
>
> If you don't fit in, if you don't think it's fun, if it doesn't feel
> like family to you, then it's a bit like hell - and you should
> definitely go get another job (probably not one that is at a startup).
>
> The sense of belonging is a powerful bonus for a lot of humans -
> especially those of the geek variety.
>
> As to Red Hat, from what I hear these days, its more of a
> brick-and-mortar feel about it. That is to say, they have gone
> corporate. And I think the definition of corporate should say: see IBM.
>
> I've got nothing against real corporations. I've done really well
> working for them in the past... but they are more about making money
> than having fun or changing the world for the better. But now, if you
> *think* that making money is fun, and it changes *your world* for the
> better, then corporate life is for you!
>
> Working for the University is definitely different... and in my opinion
> much more fun. Despite the low pay and vast quantity of Red Tape, folks
> there are generally friendly and truly grateful for the things you do.
>
> Sounds like you made the right decision for your future! Good Luck.
>
> Jon Carnes
>

> BTW: culture shifts at dot coms can make the older-employees feel like
> they have just been betrayed by their families. Hence the back-biting
> words that often flay about as dot coms grow and shift. The employees
> feel like suckers for their past loyalty.

I actually get paid paid pretty well, I think.  State pays considerably
better than either Duke or UNC and much better than most areas of the
country including those with much higher costs of living.  Maybe that
only applies to librarians, though.  I have no idea.

I worked for Abbott Labs in graduate school and made a small fortune.
Great benefits, too.  They're probably about as corporate as any other
Fortune 100 companies.  Still, my wife appreciates the 9-5 life.

Jim
---Jim Tuttle