[TriLUG] xfce4-panel for a remote and a local machine

Craig Taylor ctalkobt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 16:38:41 EST 2007

On 2/21/07, Andrew Perrin <clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu> wrote:
> Is there a way to have two xfce4-panel's running at once on one desktop?
> Specifically, I'd like to keep one running for the local machine and
> another for a remote server I want to monitor. But if it's running on the
> local machine, I get the following on the remote:
>
> aperrin at che:~$ ssh -X perrin xfce4-panel

See if xfce supports the --display parameter that a lot of Xwindows
programs do. It basicaly tells the program to redirect display to
another window. The standard "DISPLAY" can be found in $DISPLAY,
usually :0.0. The next one would typically be :1.0.

Note that you can also prepend an ip address so that if the remote
display is configured to support incoming connections you can have
your x programs display on that machine.

Hope this helps,

- Craig Taylor