[TriLUG] top-like command for monitoring disk I/O

Engle, Victor Victor.Engle at netapp.com
Thu Feb 22 10:27:40 EST 2007

I don't know what may be available for linux but something new with
solaris 10 is a tool called dtrace. There is a collection of scripts
also at opensolaris.org bundled in a dtrace toolkit which includes
dtrace scripts to do exactly what you want.

Without a tool like that you are limited to using OS tools like iostat
etc but in many cases you may be able to conclude which process or at
least which apps are responsible if you can associate an app with the
busy disk or if you can run strace on a suspect process.

How many disks does the system have and are they individual disks or
space allocated from a logical volume spanning several disks.

Regards,
Vic