[TriLUG] DST fix

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at buni.org
Tue Feb 27 15:30:06 EST 2007

It was not my interest in starting a RH sucks vs no it doesn't debate
only state that I would prefer that OTHERS run CentOS + security updates
vs RHEL + no security updates if those are their only choices for some
reason. Just as a matter of they are less likely to launch a denial of
service attack against the like...the Internet :-). What I meant by that
is that branding or QA that was performed 3-4 years ago ceases to be as
relevant as that single issue. I'm not saying it wasn't originally
valuable, just that it is less valuable than up to date patches
(especially security patches) NOW. And I'm speaking mostly selfishly in
that I'd prefer your system NOT be part of a distributed denial of
service attack against one of my systems or my ISP just because you
DIDN'T keep up to date -- not that the threat of me personally being
affected is really staggering but it is high enough that I have a
preference :-).

I do agree, however, that if one is going to use a supported linux
distribution (meaning one where you like buy it and it comes with a
support contract like RHEL and SLES) then I think keeping up with the
agreement is part of your responsibility. If the issue is that upgrading
isn't as easy or as painless as it is in other distributions, then that
should be addressed via customer activism (I haven't personally upgraded
a recent RHEL so I have no idea if it is just a command line call +
eventual reboot yet). Just my preference :-).

-Andy