[TriLUG] Wireless Broadband and Linux, anyone doing it?

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Sun Mar 4 03:11:27 EST 2007

Alan Porter wrote:
>> I got a Verizon "Wireless Broadband" card from work to evaluate.
>

> Fishing for evaluations, or just bragging to a forum of geeks?
> I'm getting 0 Mbps from my wireless broadband solution, so I
> say "good for you, you lucky stiff".
>
> Alan
>

> PS - I still think Aaron Joyner wins the award for the coolest
> wireless broadband setup.  Nextel trial wireless bridge + WLAN
> access point + 12 volt inverter + BMW = mobile hot spot.

Jason's right, it was Volvo 850 Turbo.  I do miss that setup.  I have
actually experimented with doing the same thing out here, but nothing's
really as convenient for doing it as the Nextel box was.  I've tinkered
with an old laptop and a Verizon EVDO card, but it consumes an awful lot
more power and the signal isn't as good (either down from verizon, or
out from the laptop, w/o getting antenna-crazy).  I need to find a
bridge device ala the Nextel bridge I was using back then.  If I get
something working I'll post details for kicks.  :)

Perhaps I could use one of those XO PCs when they're in mass production.
 Getting it down to 1w of power for the computing engine would bring it
into the realm of reason.

Aaron S. Joyner