[TriLUG] KVM choices

Brian Henning lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Sun Mar 4 21:41:15 EST 2007

Just to add my two cents...

At Home:  Belkin 2-port PS/2 KVM.  Fedora Core 3 likes to lose sync with the
mouse on switching; nothing that unplugging and replugging the mouse won't
fix (though it is of course a nuisance).  Windows XP Pro seems to have
little trouble keeping track.  Been working fine for several years.
Double-tap scroll-lock hotkey sequence is a little finicky and can sometimes
result in a bit of difficulty changing the actual scroll lock state.

At previous employer: IOGear 8-port PS/2 KVM.  No operational problems
whatsoever.  Only had it about a year before I left the company, though, so
I can't speak for its longevity.  I thought its hotkey sequence (ctrl ->
shift -> alt -> # -> enter) was cumbersome and prone to being mis-typed (as
there is no feedback before enter is pressed, unlike the Belkin device which
beeps once after it detects the double-tap on scroll lock, and once more
after the port is selected) resulting in several accidental attempts to log
in to machines as "2", eg.

Haven't seen any mouse-wheel problems on either one.

~B