[TriLUG] OT: your RTP commute? my office is relocating to RTP from Cary

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Tue Mar 6 07:23:49 EST 2007

David McDowell wrote:
> Hi folks.  It has been announced that my office will be leaving the
> Cary area, going from 18,000 sq ft to 32,000 sq ft on Triangle Drive
> near the 54/55 interchange in the RTP area.

I don't think that's even RTP.  That's Durham.  And at just about any
time of day, that intersection is pretty congested.

> Also,
> same goes for eastbound I-40 when work is over.

Best to avoid 40E all together if you can.  It's often sluggish at best.
   In my case, I'm working over at IBM at the Miami/Cornwallis
intersection and can take 70->540 to get home in north Raleigh.  If I
were to try and get on 40 to 540, it would take much much longer.

> I'm fairly sure if I
> leave 54/55 area by 4pm, I should make it past the Wade split without
> too much trouble, right?

Things do start clogging up in the park by 4pm.  4pm is about the time
IBM parking lots start their mass exodus.

> You can reply to me off-list unless you think your tips/tricks on
> driving to RTP might help others.

My best tip/trick in your case is to change something in your life.
Either your home or your job.  :)  If you got a house over in like the
Parkwood neighborhood or somewhere near there your commute would be a
lot easier.

--
"Showing off is the fool's idea of glory." - Bruce Lee's observations of
people at TriLUG meetings who won't shut up and let the guest speaker talk