[TriLUG] OT: your RTP commute? my office is relocating to RTP from Cary

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Mar 8 10:21:16 EST 2007

On Thursday 08 March 2007 09:36, Greg Brown wrote:
> It really would be nice to have a light rail system.  I travel between
> Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill all the time and would do so even more
> frequently if I had access to a regional rail system.  But it seems that I
> will not see such an environmentally friendly way to travel, at least not
> in the foreseeable future.  Too bad, I think we all lose out by not having
> a regional rail.

I lived in Chicago the first 30 years of my life, and I can't tell you how
wonderful it is to have rail based public transportation.

Here in Orlando we have busses. Almost anywhere, even a fat old man like me
can get there faster on a bicycle.

Back in Chicago, you could go from the northern suburbs to the southern ones
in less than 2 hours, for a very reasonable amount of money. I figured not
having a car saved me about $10,000.00 per year.

I've taken BART in San Francisco and the New York Subways, both every bit as
good as Chicago's Ell Train.

Anyone who has lived where they have functional intra-city rail transportation
sorely misses it, and votes every time to spend the money for it in his new
home.

Steve Litt
Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware
http://www.troubleshooters.com/