[TriLUG] CPU Considerations/Recommendations

Ed Alexander esalexa at nc.rr.com
Tue Mar 13 21:49:23 EDT 2007

I'm not so much stuck on "should I buy Intel or buy AMD".  I've had good
experiences with both over the years.  (My first AMD was a 40 MHz CPU on
which Yggdrasil Linux with the 0.9.x kernel ran flawlessly.)

I'm more interested in the "go 32-bit or 64-bit" debate.  Are there
still major hassles with 64-bit Linux and, even if so, are there enough
reasons to still go down that road now?  I need a system that will run
most everything, without an investment of hours to tweak each and every
application.  (Some tweaking and fighting is fun, but it gets old when
every application install becomes a challenge.)

So, to refocus, do y'all recommend 32-bit or 64-bit?

Ed