[TriLUG] Novell & Microsoft - sleeping with the enemy

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 11:44:32 EDT 2007

  I believe Novell thinks SUSE is netware and will try to sell it the same
way. Maybe in their mind they are not providing Linux but are selling SUSE.
I guess this is probably a good business strategy for them.  "Linux" costs
more but not "SUSE". E.g.
novell salesman: "You're not thinking of using that Linux distro are you?"
bank VP: "Oh no, we need reliability."
techie (former microserf): "Send me to SUSE training. I like GUI's."
softie: "But don't forget you need the Windows OS for Sharepoint and other
stone soups." Heck, why not port those stone soups to Linux? As long as they
have GUI's and the big name then some manager will buy them even if
mediawiki, tikiwiki, egroupware, zope, joomla!+docman etc are free.

My $.02,
TimJowers