[TriLUG] Novell & Microsoft - sleeping with the enemy

rleathers rleathers at americanri.com
Fri Mar 16 09:08:11 EDT 2007

Just another example here:

My employer, American Research Institute, has adopted a business strategy of
selling services with the goal of helping our customers extract business
value from their technology investments.  In the overwhelming majority of
cases, this is built around open source software.  JBoss, MySQL, Liferay,
Alfresco, and Moodle are all important items on the menu, along with
applications we have built in-house, and a few commercial titles we have
licensed.

We actively market the fact that we use open source, and claim to be able to
help our customers realize greater flexibility and productivity by making
the most of what open source is all about.

ARI is almost 5 years old now.  The company has been on board with this open
source play since day 1.  Revenues have more or less doubled every year
since the doors opened and we are now about 50 employees strong.  The
strategy works.  Our customers love it.  I can assure you that our sales
people do indeed make some cold calls.  Explaining our open source strategy
is a big part of how we differentiate ourselves in our marketing message.