[TriLUG] Novell & Microsoft - sleeping with the enemy

Mike Shaw mdshaw89 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 12:34:06 EDT 2007

On 3/16/07, Matthew Lavigne <lavigne at thosebastards.net> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Sorry that where you are in the business is so bad.  Having worked in the
> Superlab where the majority of the x86/x86_64 stuff was developed and
> tested, I get a laugh when I see the commercials cause I know how much
> work
> goes into that "Linux Compat/Testing" that gets done.  Having been one of
> the ones that helped to "fix" up and customize the original linux client
> that go rolled out to the testers in the Superlab, I can say that there is
> commitment  in IBM to doing open source testing and development.

Well I can't say I'm in an area where business is bad.  If you want the
truth, its just the opposite - we support a group that actually made money
last year.  :)

I made the comment because I have seen different.

And the linux Desktop initiative?  if you haven't ever installed the Open
> Client internally, I would suggest that you give it a try rather then
> laughing at it.  I have been running linux internally (often a highly
> customized version of the internal client) and it has only gotten better
> and
> now with the impending release that it about to hit, it is at it's best.

I have installed and ran the Open Client for many months(as recently as
December of '06) before I switched back to another Linux install - this is
why I felt I could comment.  I am not going to go into details here but ping
me offlist(sorry but it may not be 1984 but it sometimes feels like it) and
I will tell you why I did not like it and saw a limited effort from a user's
perspective compared to what is offered for internal Windows' usersand
considering Sam's bold statement of the past(
http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/linux/story/0,10801,88923,00.html
).

Now I know that Magnus likes his toys, and up here in Albany  I am getting
> to play with a lot of the new x86/x8_64 HW, so I am happy but the fun part
> will be "learning" how to deal with the new Sun boxes that we just got.,
> and
> no they aint' gonna be running linux
>
> The Java nightmare was real fun when we were getting ready for the DST
> changes, took about 2 weeks of prep for over 4 hrs of downtime and only
> the
> Sun box didn't get it right.

Doooooooh!

Matthew

> Headed out to shovel about 2 ft of snow.

Have fun!  That is exactly why I left the midwest - twice!!!

l8r,

Mike
--
In the future, it will be said that "America is really good at only 3
things: Music, Software and Pizza Delivery", (Snow Crash, ~p20).