[TriLUG] limiting Internet access with squid?

Jay Cuthrell jcuthrell at neonova.net
Mon Mar 19 10:24:59 EDT 2007

On Mar 19, 2007, at 10:18 AM, Greg Brown wrote:

> Problem: I have a client with a small network at a resturant.  His
> computer
> is XP Home so it can't be locked and he would like to restrict
> Internet
> access (when he isn't there his employees are surfing the web on
> the office
> computer, going to myspace.com, crap like that.  Can squid be set
> up block
> all request on port 80 and force users to authenticate before
> passing them
> along?  What I'd like is for Paul to have unrestricted access to the
> Internet but his employees to be blocked from going outbound.
>
> Is this possible with squid?  If not, do you have any other ideas?

Without knowing the exact LAN layout, I'd suggest picking up a WRT54G
on the cheap and installing the latest OpenWRT with NoAuthCat captive
portal module enabled.

http://openwrt.org/
http://nocat.net/

I use it for trade shows all the time for that very purpose.

--
Jay Cuthrell		CTO
NeoNova Network Services