[TriLUG] Raleigh, N.C. is the best place to find a job, according to Clark Howard

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Wed Mar 21 14:08:32 EDT 2007

Michael Rothwell wrote:
> I went on a canoe trip down the New River a number of years ago with a
> group of people. One of the guys was towing 6-packs of Schlitz behind
> his canoe, to keep it  cold(er). He offered me one, and I swear, that
> was the best beer I had ever tasted, ever. Cold, smooth, refreshing. I
> had expressed reservations when offered ("schlitz is crap"), but man, it
> was just awesome. Ok, Schlitz must have really improved since I had last
> tried it. When I got back home, I bought a 6-pack, looking forward to
> cracking one open and repeating the canoe-beer experience. Sweet Jesus,
> was that stuff awful. Apparently I was really dehydrated on the canoe
> trip and *anything* would have tasted smooth and refreshing.

What a great story containing an inner truth. Cheap beer is for people
who've worked physically hard all day and who are rewarded very little
for it, but who could to benefit from a little daily pleasure. That
little pleasure isn't so great for people who drive desks all day. An
ice cold PBR in the hands of a construction worker is a wholesome thing.
A PBR in the hands of a hipster trying to show how down he is with "the
people"... not so much. Beauty may be in the eyes of the beholder but
authenticity cannot be manufactured. It's kind of ridiculous for
computer geeks to debate the relative wretchedness or awesomeness of PBR
as we don't have the faculties for properly recognizing those merits.

--
Sincerely,

Chris -still looking for $1 Unibroue now that's something to get worked
up over- Calloway
http://www.seacoos.org
office: 332 Chapman Hall   phone: (919) 962-4323