[TriLUG] Reverse Samba?

MG mgmonza at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 21:49:55 EDT 2007

Kevin Flanagan wrote:
> Another approach would be to get Services for Unix, a FREE, as in beer
> not
> speech, set of gnu like utilities for the Windows world.  NFS client,
> server, and much more.

NFS was starting to occur to me.  I used it at work in a Solaris/Win 3.1
environment, sometime back in the stone age - it was very convenient
(well, except for that control/m thing).

Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> If you want both free beer and free speech, try using Cygwin instead
> of Services for Unix.  I haven't personally used cygwin as an NFS
> server, but the NFS client works fine, and I know the NFS server is
> available. It would be worth a try - yes, there is an OSS world on
> Windows, even if it's smaller.

Cygwin looks like the way to go for backing up the whole drive.  Now  I
know that NFS is part of it, too, I'll have to schedule another fun
afternoon exploring the whole package sometime in the future.  Thanks!

This Samba stuff's really neat, though - it's working fine for now for
the 2 g. or so directories I'm backing up.