[TriLUG] Reverse Samba?

MG mgmonza at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 18:29:13 EDT 2007

Well, now,  I"m confused again.  I thought the shares had to be
physically on the Linux box.  I set the share I used up on Linux - I
named a directory in a particular partition on Linux, entered that name
in samba.conf. and pointed to it from Windows using the Map Network
Drive option of the Tools menu in the Windows Folder menus.  Windows
could see the Samba share from there, so I could move stuff back and
forth on those shares.  I couldn't get Linux to see the Windows drives
at all, even with file sharing on, either through Samba or on the
network, although the Windows machine itself shows up.

I've not done file sharing on Windows before, so the problem may just be
my own ignorance of how Windows operates.  But then that would make it
outside the focus of this group, which I understand is about a
-rational- operating system.

MG