[TriLUG] lightweight linux distro/pc giveaway

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Sun Mar 25 16:21:38 EDT 2007

tomed at bellsouth.net wrote:
> When the RH installer throws you into a "low memory" install, I assume
> it is bypassing all of these "porky" apps and selecting a non-gui app
> suite with a much smaller resource footprint.

Nope.  You get all the same porky apps.  The installer itself is a
memory hog.  The installer isn't fully functional on a 256MB system!

But you still get all the useless garbage starting up by default, so you
have to go in with chkconfig and disable a bunch of things that don't
mean anything to you.