[TriLUG] Anyone built a MythTV/Freevo box lately - recommendations?

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Mon Mar 26 10:29:42 EDT 2007

Mike Shaw wrote:
> Simple - to record local channels via DVR instead of using a VCR.   Just
> because I don't get cable of satellite doesn't mean I will never record
> anything off of  the tuner.

I had myth going for awhile in Philly but scrapped it when I needed the
hardware in an emergency to replace something more important.

I had a tuner card but it was my fallback tuner.  My digital cable box
was my primary tuner.  Hooked it to my myth box via firewire. It worked
great, except for some channels (most notably the HBO series of
channels) had blacked out the video signal over firewire so it would
only record sound there.

With an analog tuner card you're really only getting a small subset of
the programming that is out there, and even then in relatively poor quality.

I found that many of the channels from the lower seventy-something that
the analog tuner could see were replicated in the upper digital channels
as well.