[TriLUG] Mail client

Owen Berry oberry at trilug.org
Mon Mar 26 12:36:03 EDT 2007

I don't think so. I'm using mutt (vim editor) 50% of the time and very
happy with it; and the rest of the time I use Evolution. My strategy has
always been to use IMAP for my mail - that way I can chop and change
email clients as I wish, as long as they support IMAP. At work, I also
have a local LDAP server setup so my address book is client independant
too. (need to find some time to get that setup at home as well)

Somebody commented earlier that IMAP support in Evolution isn't good ...
I haven't found anything to complain about. The only funky thing is
getting it to work with a decent mail biff type application: when you
delete email Evolution tags it as deleted on the IMAP server, but all
the biff clients I've tried don't seem to recognize that. Seems more
like a biff problem than an Evolution one. In the end, I use gnubiff
because you can right click and choose to mark mailboxes read; and it
can handle multiple mail servers. I guess you could classify it as my
3rd mail client as it can show the first part of most emails on request.

Oh, one advantage I've found with using a GUI client is more advanced
searching cabailities.

Owen