[TriLUG] Speeding up the boot process of a Linux box

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Mar 27 18:36:20 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 27 March 2007 12:26, Magnus wrote:
> Steve Litt wrote:
> > Here's a reason I might not want a machine to boot faster...
> >
> > The boot procedures on my Mandriva machine are made to accommodate a wide
> > variety of situations. They include hardware and network detection.
> > They've encountered thousands of hours of testing,
>
> Maybe the testing wouldn't take so long if your system booted faster.

No, what I meant was the authors of the programs run at bootup, and the distro
supplier tested it. Very little of my testing involves reboots, and if it
did, I'd temporarily go to a 15 second boot (someone demonstrated that at a
GoLUG installfest).

But once I was done testing it, I'd go back to my longer boot. I'm not really
sure how long it takes, I just know it's less than 5 minutes.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware
http://www.troubleshooters.com/