[TriLUG] Memory Monitor on a Redhat system

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at buni.org
Thu Mar 29 15:43:27 EDT 2007

This is not true.  JBoss cannot take up more memory than Java is taking
up (look at RSS in "top").  Java can take up to 4GB including
HEAP+stack+stuff (probably 3g) on a 32 bit lintel system (max 2 which is
~1.2 on a Win32).  JUST LIKE ANY OTHER LINUX PROCESS w/ big memory page
support.  Java can take up to a theoretical 2^64 on a 64 bit system if
you run the 64-bit VM and pass the -b64 flag.  With parallel GC and
other great features Java 5+ is VERY enterprise capable.

I've helped install both JBoss and Java on the largest intranet site in
the world (which exceeds the number of users of most Internet sites) --
granted it was Solaris, at major financial institutions, major industry
sites and more.  Java is already in the Enterprise and runs probably
about 1/2 the enterprise sites out there.

BTW BEA has had a 64 bit VM for over 4 years.

-Andy