[TriLUG] Re: Lamp not lit?

Noah Fontes impl at cynigram.com
Fri Mar 30 19:20:34 EDT 2007

J.C. Jones wrote:
> Mike, Lance and all other php/mysql users.
>
> After reading and reading in php documentation, I find:
>
> MySQL Functions
> Introduction
> These functions allow you to access MySQL database servers. More
> information about MySQL can be found at » http://www.mysql.com/.
> Documentation for MySQL can be found at » http://dev.mysql.com/doc/.
> Requirements
> In order to have these functions available, you must compile PHP with
> MySQL support.
>
> PHP 5+
> MySQL is not enabled by default, nor is the MySQL library bundled with
> PHP. Read this FAQ for details on why. Use the --with-mysql[=DIR]
> configure option to include MySQL support. You can download headers and
> libraries from » MySQL.
>
> The way that I read it, I have to compile php using --with-mysql[=DIR]
> .  This will be a first for me. Up to now, I have used rpm, deb, and
> other binaries. I have never had to compile anything other than hello.c
> or something that small.
>
> Wish me good luck :-) Any hints for compiling on Fedora Core 5 would be
> appreciated.
>
> jcj

The PHP documentation is referring specifically to how to build the
package from source there.

The RPM package maintainers will (should) build the package with the
MySQL module shared so it can be split off into a separate package.
Chances are the package you need is named something like php5-mysql or
php-mysql; just use yum to grab it. That'll install the .so you're missing.

Good luck,

--
Noah Fontes
Cynigram Network Administrator