[TriLUG] debian (actually ubuntu) and apt-get

stan briggs stan at stanbriggs.com
Wed Apr 18 16:36:26 EDT 2007

alan,

your suggestions below fixed the problem beautifully.

now, does this mean that the below set of commands would be good to run
regularly?

thanks,
stan

On 4/18/07, Alan Porter <porter at trilug.org> wrote:

> > is there something other than sources.list that determines where
> > apt-get/aptitude goes to get/search for packages? a friend of mine is
> > running the same release that i am (6.06 LTS). his sources.list is
> > identical
> > to mine but when i do an 'aptitude search dump' (looking for the bsd
> > dump/restore utilities) i get very different results (his has the
> > package in
> > there and mine does not).
>
> His cache might be newer/older than yours.
>
> I'm not sure when aptitude gets an updated list of packages.  But I do
> know how apt does it.  Aptitude sits on top of apt.  Here's what you
> need to run apt.
>
> *apt-get update* - fetches a list of all available packages
> *apt-get upgrade* - upgrades packages, but does not add new dependencies
> or delete old dependencies
> *apt-get dist-upgrade* - upgrades packages, adding and deleting
> dependencies as needed
> *apt-cache search keyword* - looks for a package
> *apt-get install package* - installs a package and dependencies
> *apt-get remove package* - removes a package (but leaves old dependencies)
>
> There's a nice utility called "deborphan" that shows old dependencies
> that are no longer needed.  I sometimes do a "apt-get remove --purge
> `deborphan`" to clean up old libraries.
>
> If you want to dive a little deeper, apt sits on top of dpkg.  About the
> only time I use dpkg is to clean things up or reconfigure a package.
>
> *dpkg --remove --purge package*
> *dpkg-reconfigure package*
>

> Alan
>

> .

Stan B. Briggs
+1-919-414-9513
www.oBoJ.org: openBBQ/openJam is the open source community coming together
for the benefit of society. our events and work are for the purpose of
raising awareness, raising funds, and performing activities for good causes.
participation is open to all who wish to support worthwhile public causes.