[TriLUG] Reverse Lookup Using /etc/hosts

Alexei Znamensky russoz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 16:46:42 EDT 2007

Tarus,

nslookup/host works exclusively with DNS, it doesn't follow the system's
resolver order (read /etc/nsswitch.conf or host.conf).

I could swear that ping would do the trick, but it doesn't. You can always
do it the dirty way:

grep "^${IP_NUMBER}" /etc/hosts | awk '{ print $2 }'

Sorry I dont have anything better right now.

Cheers,
Alexei

On 4/25/07, Tarus Balog <tarus at opennms.org> wrote:

> Gang:
>
> I am at a site where a bunch of devices don't reverse resolve via
> DNS. I have a spreadsheet with the IPs and the hostnames so I've
> created an /etc/hosts file in the proper format with that
> information, and in nsswitch.conf I've set hosts to files then dns.
>
> However, host/nslookup will not resolve the IP to a name.
>
> Am I missing something here? I swear I've had this work before.
>
> -T
>
> P.S. CentOS4 if it matters.
> Tarus Balog, OpenNMS Maintainer             Main:   +1 919 533 0160
> The OpenNMS Group, Inc.                     Fax:    +1 503 961 7746
> Skype: tarusb                               Direct: +1 919 647 4749
> Email: tarus at opennms.org                    URL: http://www.opennms.org
> PGP Key Fingerprint: 8945 8521 9771 FEC9 5481  512B FECA 11D2 FD82 B45C

Alexei Znamensky - russoz_gmail_com
Notícias do Front: http://russoz.wordpress.com/
::: Enquanto Freud explica as coisas, o diabo fica dando os toque...