[TriLUG] Reverse Lookup Using /etc/hosts

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Apr 26 10:59:32 EDT 2007

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> On 4/25/07, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007, Alexei Znamensky wrote:
>>
>> > Tarus,
>> >
>> > nslookup/host works exclusively with DNS, it doesn't follow the system's
>> > resolver order (read /etc/nsswitch.conf or host.conf).
>>
>> there is no resolver facility in Linux which applications
>> ask for name resolution. Applications do what they want and
>> can ignore files in /etc
>
> Not true.

The original poster is not getting name resolution.

Applications that access disks don't do it directly, they
don't have special code for the various types of disks, they
ask the disk access facility to do it for them.

The original poster has an application that accesses DNS
directly, which it has no business doing. I ran into the
same problem with Postfix - it only uses DNS. If the
application had to ask a name resolution facility for
resolution, then the name resolution facility would get the
info from wherever (DNS, /etc/hosts) and return it to the
application. The application would not know, or have any way
of knowing where the information came from.

I don't have the original post (can't find the mailing list
archives), but applications and sysadmins should have tools
other than DNS debugging tools for name resolution.

Joe