[TriLUG] Reverse Lookup Using /etc/hosts

Tarus Balog tarus at opennms.org
Thu Apr 26 20:04:52 EDT 2007

On Apr 26, 2007, at 9:50 AM, Barry Gaskins wrote:

> So if you make changes to your configuration you might need to
> restart your
> java application to notice the change.

We actually kinda figured this out in OpenNMS. It *was* working, in a
sense.

(forget the rest of this if you aren't a big OpenNMS fan)

When, say, node 10.1.1.1 gets discovered, it's labeled as 10.1.1.1.
If you add

10.1.1.1 foo.example.com

to /etc/hosts and rescan, the node label will not change. However, if
you look at the interface label it *does* change. Now if you delete
and readd the node, it will be labeled foo.example.com. But if you
change it in /etc/hosts and rescan, it won't change (although as
before the interface label will).

So in technical terms I think this is referred to as a "bug". It may
be due to the caching as well.

Thanks to everyone for their help. Some people don't like asking for
the time and getting told how to build a watch, but I learn more from
this list about "how things work" than I have a right to.

(grin)

-T

Tarus Balog, OpenNMS Maintainer             Main:   +1 919 533 0160
The OpenNMS Group, Inc.                     Fax:    +1 503 961 7746
Skype: tarusb                               Direct: +1 919 647 4749
Email: tarus at opennms.org                    URL: http://www.opennms.org
PGP Key Fingerprint: 8945 8521 9771 FEC9 5481  512B FECA 11D2 FD82 B45C