[TriLUG] Network install question

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 16:34:38 EDT 2007

You could try a network boot - though it's been awhile since I've done that.

WMM

On 4/28/07, Nicholas Chapel <nicholas.chapel at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm an almost total Linux n00b, and am facing a bit of a dilemma with
> regard to an installation.  I'm attempting to install Linux on a
> slightly vintage PC which has a CD-ROM drive, but cannot read DVDs. I
> want to install a distro (CentOS 6) that I've downloaded and burned onto
> a bootable DVD, and I would really rather not download and burn six
> separate CD images of the same distro for the sake of this one computer.
> I do have a bootable CD of Damn Small Linux, however, that will boot
> just fine on the old PC. Would it be possible for me to put the DVD in
> my desktop machine, share it via NFS, boot the old computer using my DSL
> CD, mount the NFS share, and manually invoke the installer? I can figure
> out how to create and mount the NFS share, but how would I invoke the
> installation via that share? And if this /*/isn't* possible (or isn't
> the easiest way to go about the task), how would I best achieve the
> installation without ripping a DVD drive out of another computer and
> slapping it in the old box?  Any help or advice would be appreciated.

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erdős
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2