[TriLUG] Still having problems with fstab in Ubuntu Feisty...

Tommy Williams talen.quickblade at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 17:43:53 EDT 2007

Michael,
  I just spent the weekend installing Feisty on my business laptop.
The first question is if you actually upgraded a previous installation
or did a fresh install on a different partition or some such.
Following that I would like to know if you are able to manually mount
the samba shares successfully.

  My list of notes for my own install grew quite large in a hurry. I
found with the fresh install did not include the SMBFS or NFS
packages.  I actually had to go out and install it manually (well...
with apt-get). I don't know if this is something that has always
needed to be asked for implicitly, but it struck me as odd that the
packages are not part of the normal installation.

  Though if you did an upgrade from a previous release, my
observations should not mean to much, as the packages should have
already been there. Your config file does not need the "-o" statements
for the SMBFS mounts. I would also suggest moving the username and
passwords to a file in your home directory... it makes for a neater
looking fstab and it allows you to keep the login information between
you and the root user, not anyone who can read the fstab.  Examples
follow:

#FSTAB entry
#Entry for user information belonging to a domain/workgroup
//your.company.com/home	/media/CompanyHome	smbfs	uid=<UID>,workgroup=<COMPANY>,credentials=/home/<USER>/.smbpasswd.<COMPANY>	0	0
#Entry for user on machine being mounted
//SambaServer/Music	/media/Music	smbfs	uid=<UID>,credentials=/home/<USER>/.smbpasswd.	0	0

#
Contents of .smbpasswd file
username = <USERNAME>
password = <PASSWORD>

By the way, I have not had any problems with the trash applet or Gnome
Control Center. I am happy to report that lots of stuff "Just Works"
in this latest release of Ubuntu.

--
Tommy Williams

"Somewhere, there is a very fat and very naked hairy man jumping up
and down in the shower singing a country song. Think about that the
next time you ask to be omniscient."