[TriLUG] Still having problems with fstab in Ubuntu Feisty...

Michael Ham michael at bakedhamgames.net
Mon Apr 30 16:25:13 EDT 2007

Tommy,

Thanks for your response.  Here are the answers to your suggestions, and
thank you for your help.

1) The first question is if you actually upgraded a previous installation

or did a fresh install on a different partition or some such.
>> This was an upgrade from 6.10, which was, in itself, an upgrade from 6.06.  I have never had any real upgrade problems in either of the other installs or upgrades.
2) Following that I would like to know if you are able to manually mount the samba shares successfully.
>> Yes, I tried it the other night (using Ubuntu's "Connect To Server" command), and it worked.  Also, it appears that it actually does mount my NTFS drive, but it does not show up on my desktop or in my "Places" like it used to.  Maybe you can help me with that?  As far as the mounting with fstab is concerned, I get an Input/Output error if I try to ls the directory.

Okay, thank you for the .smbpasswd idea... I just was messing around, and this is totally crazy.  For some reason, trying to mount it in the mnt folder was the problem!  When I (just randomly) switched it over to /media, everything worked fine!  Any idea why that is?

Still could use help on the trash and control center problems, though.