[TriLUG] New system configuration thoughts

Jason Tower jtower at cerient.net
Tue May 1 12:23:23 EDT 2007

Jim Tuttle wrote:
> So, I've got a new system on the way and had a couple of questions
> someone here might have answers to.
>
> First, I wonder if memory throughput is increased by using more, smaller
> modules.  So, would using 4 x 512MB be faster than 2 x 1GB?  Perhaps the
> difference would be so small as not to matter.  The difference in price
> is also quite small so there would be no reason not to pick the faster
> configuration.

get 2x1gb, easier to expand later.  speed diff is insignificant.

> Second, I wonder about hard drive configuration.  It's always been my
> policy to have 2 matched drives, say sda and sdb, and to back up each to
> the opposite drive.  So, say I install linux on sda1 and Windows on
> sdb1.  Then I would back up sda1 to sdb2 and backup sdb1 to sda2.  This
> makes sense, right?  Then, any single disk failure doesn't result in
> data loss.  Any holes in this method?  I've been thinking about raid
> mirroring, but it seems like overkill.  Of course, every once in awhile
> I back up to a firewire drive and take it to work.

if a power issue (spike or something) blows up the box you're still screwed.
  if your data really matters get a second box and rsync everything to it
daily or even hourly.  that's what i do.

> Third, and lastly, is anyone using 64-bit Ubuntu 7.04?  I don't mean to
> rehash the 32-bit/64-bit debate, but is it worth any trouble to use
> 64-bit in a system with 2GB of RAM?

unless you plan on going >4gb ram then probably not.  32bit is fine.