[TriLUG] nomination deadline for Steering Elections extended

Cristóbal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Mon May 7 15:01:03 EDT 2007

This email would have gone out sooner, but we had a disk failure on
our web/list/mail server. Please accept my apologies. Thanks also to
Tanner Lovelace, Kevin Otte and Matt Frye for their work to get us
back up and running.

= Executive Summary =

The deadline for Steering Committee nominations has been pushed back.
It is now Wed May 9 21:00:00 EDT 2007. That's nine PM (9:00 PM) the
evening of this coming Wednesday. Please email the list, me, or fill
out the form at http://www.trilug.org/contact to nominate yourself or
someone else.

= Full Text =

The deadline set for nominations for the Steering Committee election
has passed. It was posted here: http://www.trilug.org/node/50. After
reviewing our Articles of Incorporation

http://www.trilug.org/articlesofincorporation

I realized that for annual elections there is no stipulation that
nominations be received by some fixed point before the election. For
elections to fill a vacancy there is such a stipulation (10 days).

I and other members of the Steering Committee feel that it's important
to have a deadline if we're going to have ballots printed that make it
reasonably easy to vote (and, just as importantly, count the vote)
quickly and accurately. That said, we've only received two (2)
nominations so far, and there are five (5) posts.

I'm not going to try to push people into running for the Steering
Committee, since I'd sooner help run the LUG shorthanded than have
people on board who aren't really interested, but we'll be in
uncharted territory without five people, and frankly it'll be rather
sad to win my post by default, to say nothing of the meta-messages
about our group and its direction. I'm going to resist the urge to
soapbox further.

We, the Steering Committee, have therefore decided that the deadline
for nominations should be pushed back. The deadline is now Wed May  9
21:00:00 EDT 2007. That's nine PM (9:00 PM) of this Wednesday evening.
If you have some strong feelings about any of this, I suggest you
speak up (or email, or call, etc.) now and not Wednesday.

Please feel free to nominate someone (yes, you can nominate yourself)
any of three ways:

(1) fill out the form: http://www.trilug.org/contact
(2) send an email to a steering committee member (that includes me and
other people listed at http://www.trilug.org/about-steering)
(3) Send an email to the list (trilug at trilug.org)

Sincerely,
--