[TriLUG] executable and non-executable libraries

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue May 15 08:51:29 EDT 2007

I'm building linux from scratch. In the build for
ncurses-5.5 (section 6.18), post install instructions set
the ncurses libraries (/usr/lib/*.5.5) executable (755), but
make libncurses++w.a non-executable (644).

I'd assumed all libraries should be 644. When do you make a
library executable?

When I actually execute these libraries from the command
line I get a segv.

The only executable library I know about is /lib/libc.so.6
which when executed, will give you its specs and build info.
How do you make libc.so.6 executable? It needs a main()? If
it has a main(), how does libc.so.6 get linked to an
executable with a real main()?

google with linux, shared, library, executable,
non-executable didn't find anything relevant.

Thanks Joe