[TriLUG] INPUT line in shared libraries

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue May 15 11:34:18 EDT 2007

On Tue, 15 May 2007, James Olin Oden wrote:

>> igloo:/src/lfs/usr/lib# ls -al libmenu*.so
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root root 15 May 14 18:53 libmenu.so
>> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 13 May 14 18:34 libmenuw.so -> libmenuw.so.5*
>>
>> igloo:/src/lfs/usr/lib# more libmenu.so
>> INPUT(-lmenuw)
>>
> What on earth do you expect get by running more against a binary file
> much less executable code like a library?

I guess I wasn't clear about this. libmenu.so is not a link,
and not a binary but an ascii file of 15 bytes, whose
content is accounted for in the output of more. This
particular one works fine as a library at link time.

I've seen these ascii small library files in all sorts of
Linux systems. I first noticed them years ago after a
compile/install of some package and thought they were a
mistake.

Joe