[TriLUG] executable and non-executable libraries

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue May 15 11:52:04 EDT 2007

On Tue, 15 May 2007, James Olin Oden wrote:

> The other library that is executable is ld, the runtime
> linker, btw.

hadn't noticed this either. If you execute ld, it gives a
help screen, telling you that it will (among other things)
launch executables. eg

igloo:/lib# ./ld-2.3.5.so /usr/bin/ls libc.so.*
libc.so.6

(apparently maintainers need to do this.)

on my slackware system, most of the libraries are 755, but
they segv on execution.

> but what I'm going to do is forward you question on to
> Jeff Johnson (the maintainer of one the forks of rpm who
> happens know lots of esoteric stuff like that) and see if
> he knows.

G'dai Jeff.

> Some detailed information on shared library development is
> here:

> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-shobj/

thanks, better go look.

Joe