[TriLUG] [OT] TriLUGger on the news

Chris Bullock cgbullock at yahoo.com
Fri May 18 17:24:57 EDT 2007

To try to get this topic back on topic, there is one thing that rural
counties can get in what the state calls metro counties can not, that is
telecommunications grant money.  Our office is based out of Greenville, NC
which by state funding is considered metro.  We have connections to
hospitals all across rural eastern nc, my complaint is that since these
places are rural they qualify for free or reduced rate telecommunications.
  This really pisses me off due to the fact that their basis is that the
telcos charge more for rural areas over metro.  Embarq and Suddenlink have
a monopoly in eastern nc so they basically charge whatever they want.  As
I said we have a 100mb metro E connection with Embarq and that spokes out
to several small rural areas which I may add pay (or now billed) the same
thing we do but they get their connection at a reduced rate or even free
just because they are rural(reimbursed by grants).  So I guess for IT for
some things it helps to be in poor or rural areas.
my $.02
cgb

____________________________________________________________________________________Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.