[TriLUG] Anyone catch 60minutes last night concerning the OLPC?

Kevin J. mrkevinj at yahoo.com
Mon May 21 23:04:39 EDT 2007

Very interesting. I had heard about a low-cost pc from Intel, but didn't know what they were called until I saw that piece. I'm not sure how that makes Intel evil though. Looks like a smart play on their part. It may be "humanitarian", but getting the first jump on a software and hardware platform in an entire country is a future goldmine of programmers, purchasers, partners, etc. They'd be idiotic not to do that.

They are obviously pushing M$ on their hardware, but I noticed Intel also states it will run Linux on the classmate web site. The reality is that it will come down to marketing in many of these countries and Nicholas will need more people involved in his marketing effort if he hopes to play against Intel. Personally, I think this is a crucial effort right now. It seems obvious that children respond very favorably to a laptop computer; and governments around the world will begin to see the power of this medium (for good and bad) as it becomes more widespread. If I had to guess, I'd say that M$ will likely lose big in this market in the long run due to the many pitfalls of closed source (specifically M$) code; but Intel is smart to get their hardware in the fray right now. If AMD had any sense at all, CEO Hector Ruiz would be on another plane pushing the OLPC platform with Nicholas.

All I really want to know is...when and where can I buy one of these things??!

Kevin

Have you F/LOSSed today?