[TriLUG] Anyone catch 60minutes last night concerning the OLPC?

Israel J. Pattison pattison at usa.com
Tue May 22 09:29:41 EDT 2007

>From that perspective, isn't the entire mission of OLPC something very close
to "dumping"?  The whole idea of the project is to flood certain markets
with devices at a fraction of the market price, right?  From a purely
business perspective this would be considered outrageous.  From a
humanitarian perspective (if you consider computing devices / network access
a humanitarian issue -- and that is very, very arguable) this is slightly
more palatable.

If this is a truly humanitarian effort, then the only appropriate response
is for anyone and everyone with means and conscience to contribute to the
project.  Does that mean that everyone has to collaborate with Negroponte to
contribute.  Intel's action says "No."

If this is a capitalist venture, then protecting the project from predatory
competitors is the cost of doing business.

Negroponte is trying to have his cake and eat it too.  As long as you give
him the money to implement his project, you're fine.  Especially if his MIT
lab gets to keep the rights to the intellectual property the project
generates.  But if you use your own resources to do the same thing, then
you're being predatory.

The man has a great mind for the future of technology and an interconnected
world.  I don't know if he is the right person to head up the OLPC.  Maybe
the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is available?

Israel