[TriLUG] [OT] TriLUGger on the news

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Tue May 22 12:08:09 EDT 2007

btw - you're supposed to be as far to the right in the lane (or on the
shoulder) as is possible - getting hit while intentionally riding not as far
right as you can in the lane goes on the accident report as your fault, not
the driver's.

WMM

On 5/22/07, William Sutton <william at trilug.org> wrote:

> I've done on and off road biking on a mountain bike (on road, equipped
> with slicks or semi-slicks).  It has a Judy XC fork and high powered
> dual-bulb headlights (with custom hacked high/low beam feature ;) ) for
> night riding.
>
> I rode for 2 years in So Cal as a missionary.  I rode on and off for 4
> years in college.  Given that experience, I think I'm somewhat qualified
> to speak on the subject :}
>
> 1. Always wear a helmet.  No matter what else we discuss, helmets do save
> your noggin.
> 2. On-road, ride slightly into the lane (say a few feet).  Drivers may
> hate you for it, but they won't have as easy a time squeezing you off the
> shoulder and into the ditch as if you ride the line.
> 3. Remember that you have the legal right to be on the road.  It won't
> save you if someone does something stupid, but you have to take your space
> in good conscience.  Otherwise you'll let them run you into the ditch...
> 4. Use proper signals.  The worst thing for a person in a vehicle is to
> have no idea what a bicyclist is going to do.
> 5. Don't ride all over the road (left lane, right lane, oncoming lanes,
> etc).  Follow proper traffic procedures.  Remember, you're a vehicle, not
> a pedestrian.  In the same vein, stay off the sidewalks.  It makes things
> really confusing for a driver when a bicyclist zipps off the sidewalk,
> across the crosswalk, and then makes a sudden left turn across the
> oncoming traffic flow.
> 6. Be alert.  The nation needs more Lerts.  Seriously, though, you have to
> pay attention to what's going on behind you as well as ahead of you.
> Sometimes mirrors are helpful.  Your ears are definitely helpful (this
> means no ipod and headphones, guys).  You should pay more attention when
> on a bicycle than in a car because there is a greater chance for injury.
> One common problem is cars that come up from behind and make a sudden
> right turn across a cyclist's path.  If you're paying attention, you can
> usually take preventative measures.
>
> It can be safe.  You just have to watch out and plan ahead for other
> people's mistakes.
>
> William Sutton
> (who can't bicycle much anymore because he was in a *car* when the driver
> of another *car* hit him, hurting his knee)
>
> On Tue, 22 May 2007, David McDowell wrote:
>
> > just throwing this out there... I'm a mountain biker, single track
> > trails, and I refuse to ride on the roads.  I appreciate all the
> > cajones you all have to wanting to do that, but I won't.  I mean,
> > there are websites out there dedicated to people who got creamed while
> > biking on the road.  Drivers simply don't respect you.  I'd rather die
> > breaking my neck running into a tree than being hit by a car.  At
> > least that way I know it was my fault, or I could blame the tree...
> >
> > btw, Sharper Image has an electric scooter (plug-in for recharge)... I
> > have NO clue the specs on it, saw it in the store the other day.

> [...]

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erdős
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2