[TriLUG] [OT] TriLUGger on the news

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Tue May 22 12:58:34 EDT 2007

see the bicycle laws I linked to - there is a full description of the law,
and it say to ride to right - unless impracticable.

WMM

On 5/22/07, Scott Chilcote <scottchilcote at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Dave Sorenson wrote:
> > Apples and oranges. Bicycles are classified as slow moving vehicles and
> > are supposed to maintain as far right as possible. Motorcycles being
> > vehicles that can maintain regular traffic speeds are not subject to
> > that. I speak as a former TV news photographer who covered way too many
> > of these types of accidents. If you are on a bicycle, and are in the
> > middle of a traffic lane you will not get the same leeway from the
> > investigating LEO in an accident, in fact you could be cited for
> > impeding the flow of traffic and contributing to the cause of the
> > accident. The car driver will likely get a ticket for running you over
> > either way, but the bike rider certainly has responsibility to not
> > impede traffic the same as other slow moving vehicles (farm equipment
> > etc...)
> >
> > Dave
>
> I need to correct this, because it is a misunderstanding of the law that
> deprives bicyclists of their rights.  There is no special "slow moving
> vehicle" classification for bicyclists.
>
> From the NC Driver's Handbook, Page 95:
>
> "Because bicycles are vehicles, bicyclists must obey the same traffic
> laws as other drivers."
>
> "Bicyclists usually ride on the right side of the road, but are entitled
> to the use of a full lane."
>
> "A bicyclist staying to the right in their lane is accommodating the
> following drivers by making it easier to see when it is safe to pass,
> and easier to execute the pass.  Drivers wishing to pass a bicyclist may
> do so only when there is abundant clearance and no oncoming traffic is
> in the opposing lane.  When passing a bicyclist, always remember the
> bicyclist is entitled to the use of a full lane."
>
> The penalty for failing to yield right of way to a bicyclist,
> motorcycle, or motor scooter is higher than than for another car.  I
> didn't know that until I looked just now.
>
> The guideline that I have heard cited most often is that bicyclists need
> to ride as far to the right as is safe under the circumstances.  This
> allows the full lane to be used when it is dangerous to ride near the
> shoulder, for example when broken glass or gravel is present.
>
> I do oppose a bicyclists blocking the lane unless it is very important -
> it certainly does not make life easier for other bicyclists.
>
> --
> Scott C.

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erdős
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2