[TriLUG] [OT] TriLUGger on the news

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue May 22 16:52:05 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 22 May 2007 12:08, Warren Myers wrote:
> btw - you're supposed to be as far to the right in the lane (or on the
> shoulder) as is possible - getting hit while intentionally riding not as
> far right as you can in the lane goes on the accident report as your fault,
> not the driver's.
>
> WMM

Where'd you get that information Warren?

I've never lived or ridden in NC, but I've ridden extensively in Chicago,
Miami, Los Angeles, Columbus Ohio and Orlando Florida, and I've never heard
that if you're not riding as far to the right as "possible" (whatever that
might mean), that a car behind you can choose to act as judge, jury and
executioner.

The other question is what does "as possible" mean. On a street with cars
parked on the right I have the skills to consistently ride with my right
handlebar 6" to 1 foot from the parked cars, but I think we all know what's
gonna happen after a few days of that. Personally I ride a door length out
from parked cars.

As I remember, when studying for a driving test in either Chicago or LA,
bicycles were encouraged to "take their lane" if travelling so fast as to
make it dangerous for cars to pass them, and certainly if the bike is going
the same speed as the rest of traffic.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware