[TriLUG] [OT] TriLUGger on the news

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed May 23 07:28:14 EDT 2007

Alan Porter wrote:
> In Singapore (I lived there in 2001-2002), they had very reliable electronic
> toll booths that automatically deducted money from your account as you passed
> under the gantry.  In some parts of town, the toll would change at certain times
> of day to discourage peak-time traffic.
>
> Sometimes, I would see a Mercedes parked on the side of the road.  The driver
> (who had paid over US$200k for the privilege of owning a luxury car) was waiting
> for the toll to change so he could save 25 cents!

In Singapore they now have a graduated pricing system to discourage
people from waiting in front of the gantries.  It's something like this:
8am - 7:00 pm:  $3.00
7:00 - 7:05 pm:  $2.75
7:05 - 7:10 pm: $2.50
etc. until it gets down to zero.

That stops most people from pulling over since you would have to wait a
pretty long time before you've saved anything.

--Jeremy