[TriLUG] an actual Linux question

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Wed May 23 10:48:12 EDT 2007

This might not be the proper forum for this, but...

I have a web server running Debian stable.  That means that up until a
few weeks ago, I was running "sarge" (aka 3.1).  Then, when "etch" (aka
4.0) was released, I did an "apt-get dist-upgrade" to upgrade.  In the
process, I lost libapache2-mod-auth-mysql.

 From what I can tell, there was some problem getting the mysql
authentication module to compile properly, the deadline came, and this
package was left out of the etch release.  Apparently, a lot of other
people are having the same problem, but I have not heard of a solution
or work-around [1].

While Googling around, I heard some seemingly simple one-liners thrown
out like "why not use libapache2-auth-pam and PAM authentication?".  The
simple answer to that question is that I don't know what the &^*&% that
means.  But if someone would like to elaborate (using more than one
line), I am all ears.

Just curious if anyone on the list has encountered this problem, and if
they have a relatively painless solution.  If possible, I'd like to
avoid the duct-tape solution (this package defers to that package that
has a plugin with an add-on, etc) [2].

Alan

[1] Right now, I am considering the "solution" of scrapping Debian and
moving to Ubuntu.  But that's biting off a bit more than I can chew at
the moment.  So instead, I'd like to work with what I have.

[2] After all, this is a WEB server, not a MAIL server!