[TriLUG] an actual Linux question

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Wed May 23 11:01:38 EDT 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 10:48:12AM -0400, Alan Porter wrote:

> This might not be the proper forum for this, but...

Woohoo!  A challenge!

> While Googling around, I heard some seemingly simple one-liners thrown
> out like "why not use libapache2-auth-pam and PAM authentication?".  The
> simple answer to that question is that I don't know what the &^*&% that
> means.  But if someone would like to elaborate (using more than one
> line), I am all ears.

If you look in /etc/pam.d you'll see various services.  My guess is you'd
declare an "apache" service or the like and tell it to use the pam_mysql
module.  You'd have to read up on how to do that, but it would probably look
something like:

auth    required        pam_mysql.so user=... pass=... db=...

> Just curious if anyone on the list has encountered this problem, and if
> they have a relatively painless solution.  If possible, I'd like to
> avoid the duct-tape solution (this package defers to that package that
> has a plugin with an add-on, etc) [2].

PAM is tricky (that's putting it nicely).  You might be better off using
James' suggestion, which I'll reply to in a moment for thread continuity.

--
Kevin Otte, N8VNR
nivex at nivex.net
http://www.nivex.net/

-=-

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-- George Santayana

"It seems no one reads Santayana anymore."
-- Cdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5