[TriLUG] Welcome new TriLUG member! (was Re: The Direction of TriLUG)

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Fri May 25 08:55:55 EDT 2007

Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On 5/24/07, Chess Griffin <chess at chessgriffin.com> wrote:
>> Hi everyone --
>>
>> Been lurking, but wanted to pick up on this point.
>>
>> My wife and I have two small kids and we both have extremely hectic
>> jobs.  Thus, I have only made it to a small handful of monthly meetings.
>>   I would _love_ for there to be semi-regular lunches around town.  I
>> don't really know anyone in the LUG and would very much like to meet
>> folks.  The monthly meetings in the evening are usually just too hard
>> for me to get to, but I'm all about lunch meetings.  :-)
>
> Chess,
>
> Welcome to TriLUG!  Glad you spoke up.  If you would like to
> meet some TriLUG people, how about organizing an informal
> TriLUG lunch?  Just take a look at http://www.trilug.org/wiki/TriLUG_Lunch
> and create a new page on the wiki for the time/date/location. :-)
> Talk about it on the list beforehand and come to some consensus
> for date, or just propose a date and see who can come!  Anyone
> can call a "TriLUG lunch"!
>
> Also, since you've already spoken up, how about telling us a bit
> more about yourself?  Are you new to the area?  What interests
> you the most about Linux and/or FOSS?  Let us know! :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Tanner

Thanks for the welcome, Tanner, and thanks for pointing me to that wiki
page.  I'll definitely work on organizing an informal TriLUG lunch.

As for myself, I am not really new to the area.  I'm a NC native, but
moved around for many years while growing up, and now have been back in
Raleigh for about 10 years.  I'm in my late 30's, married, two kids, and
6+ Linux boxes -- including a nifty NSLU2 running Debian Etch.  :-)  My
first computer was an Apple ][ we got in the late 1970's, and I've been
hacking around with them ever since.  Unfortunately, I don't work in IT
nowadays, although I am certain I did so in a former (or future?) life.

I've been using Linux as my primary operating system since 2001 or so,
and have spent most of my time with Slackware, although I also use
Debian, Arch Linux, and some FreeBSD thrown in for good measure (my
OpenSolaris Starter Kit is also sitting on my desk just asking for some
of my time).  I think what interests me most about F/OSS is the freedom
itself; plus, I have discovered that I simply love UNIX-like operating
systems.  I enjoy helping new users discover Linux and I dabble in
various F/OSS projects here and there.  I have been to a few TriLUG
meetings but kept pretty quiet.  I look forward to meeting people in
person and becoming more involved with TriLUG.

Best regards,
Chess

--
Chess Griffin