[TriLUG] Palm Treo 650 vs 680?

Jos Purvis purvis at melete.org
Thu May 31 09:53:42 EDT 2007

On 5/30/07, Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler at gmail.com> wrote:
> What are you trying
> to do with the 650 that you run into memory issues?
> And, as far as the lockups go, what kinds of things were you
> doing when it locked up?

I should have included a disclaimer. I have two things that generally
chew memory on my 650: GoodLink (required by the company for mobile
mail) and a Java environment (for Opera). The latter I've done away
with, which has left me much more comfortable, memory-wise, but it's
still a little tight with only 23MB overall. I think my major
complaint was that several applications will refuse to run (or will
not run properly) when the available memory sinks below a certain
amount, which means carefully juggling things on and off my memory
card to make sure I have enough. My lesser complaint is with the
amount of crap Cingular insists on loading into the Treo and making
undeletable, thus further compromising the amount of available memory.

As far as lockups, I've had them under all kinds of circumstances:
browsing the web, reading email, running various apps...you name it.
They've improved now that I have a bit more memory, so I have a hunch
what I was running into was a lack of heap available for apps.

    --Jos