[TriLUG] security goons at TigerDirect in Raleigh: "No, thanks!"

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Thu May 31 17:39:38 EDT 2007

I, personally, never stopped at the Walmart doors if the alarm went off. If
they actually cared, somebody would follow me outside.

Never once did somebody follow me.

WMM

On 5/31/07, Carl Crider <c.crider at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the tip. Is there a link with more details on the legal
> aspects of this?
>
> This policy used to enrage me. However, I must admit that after years
> of dealing with this policy, I am more like the sheep they want me to be
> at the door. I need to add that I get stopped everywhere, no matter which
> dress shirt I'm in. Why? I think it just might have something to do with
> my
> arms being sleeved in tattoos [go_figure]. Oh well, it's my choice.  :)
>
> Am I supposed to be this apathetic towards
> being profiled?
>

> On 5/31/07, Magnus <magnus at trilug.org> wrote:
> >
> > Not many stores do this anymore because it turns out they don't exactly
> > have the right to coerce you to do this.  But TigerDirect is one of
> > those stores that still has a security goon at the door to check
> > receipts against what is in your bag to make sure you're not stealing.
> >
> > What most people don't know, including the people checking the bags,
> > your compliance is not required.  The moment you paid for your goods,
> > they became yours.  They no more have the right to inspect your bag now
> > than they would to turn out your pockets.
> >
> > So I picked up some networking components that I needed for the house.
> > I had to explicitly ask for a bag because none was provided.  When the
> > cashier put my stuff in the bag, he then handed me the receipt and told
> > me I would need to have Helga the Security Goon from Bulgaria check my
> > receipt and bag on the way out.  I smiled and thanked him as I tossed
> > the receipt back into the bag.
> >
> > Sure enough on the way out, Helga tries to block my path, telling me
> > "Sir, I have to check your bag."
> >
> > I smile and politely tell her "No, thank you. Have a nice day."
> >
> > I think she was completely bewildered by this response.  But only for a
> > moment.
> >
> > I never stopped moving.  But I walked nice and slow so they could
> > understand what I was telling them.
> >
> > Then the cashier and security goon started shouting at me.  "SIR!  You
> > MUST stop!  We MUST check your receipt!"
> >
> > I continued to smile, and briefly explained "No, you misunderstand, this
> > is mine.  You don't need to check it."
> >
> > "Sir!   STOP!"
> >
> > Still smiling, I firmly but politely invited them to try stopping me,
> > slowing down a bit more to give them a chance to try.
> >
> > When neither of them made a move to stop me, I smiled at both and said
> > "Great seeing you.  I'll see you again next time!" and walked out the
> > door.  They didn't follow.
> >
> > Folks, next time some security goon wants to make you comply with a
> > corporate security policy that violates YOUR civil liberties, stop and
> > remember: you don't have to comply.
> >
> > I'm sure Helga is a nice sweet lady when she's not wearing her faux cop
> > uniform and faux badge, and I don't mean this to be a personal attack on
> > her, but I really hope she is unemployed soon and that positino is NEVER
> > backfilled.

> [...]

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erdős
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2