[TriLUG] Trilug is a community

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 09:05:18 EDT 2007

On 6/1/07, jonc at nc.rr.com <jonc at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Trilug is a community. It has a technical focus, but it's roots are
> others reaching out and connecting with others... helping others.
> Communication is the life blood of a healthy growing community. The
> community has seen a lot of friendships form within its virtual
> boundaries. And the habit of communicating via the main list has keep
> folks connected to TriLUG - even when their focus is no longer Linux or
> even technology.
>
> All I'm saying is: Lets not forget the community aspect of TriLUG. Even
> though the OT discussions have raised the S/N ratio to a very high level
> - it is a good problem to have. It shows the strength of our bond to TriLUG.

Jon,

I agree completely that TriLUG is a community.  I believe however that
as a community, it has changed from several years ago when TriLUG
was smaller.  When we were smaller, more people knew each other
and as a result, things like spontaneous TriLUG lunches that help
build communities happened much more often.  Now that TriLUG is
bigger, fewer people know each other and there isn't as much incentive
to do things with each other than strengthen the community.  The
question we now find ourselves faced with is what do we want to do
about this?  We could keep getting bigger and lose that aspect of
a community.  Or, we could try to take steps to further strengthen
those community bonds.  So, I'd just like everyone reading this to
ask themselves.  What would you do for TriLUG and the community
it has built?

Cheers,
Tanner

--