[TriLUG] The TriLUG Discussion List

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 11:03:49 EDT 2007

On 6/1/07, David A. Cafaro <dac at trilug.org> wrote:
> Yes a moderated list would be a pain for all.  I agree there are
> certainly occasions when the Off Topic  posts go nuts.  I also believe
> this reply email of mine is very much On Topic as it discusses TriLUG
> policy.  Just wanted to post my take on the subject.

I think referring to the Frequently Asked Questions is appropriate here:

http://www.trilug.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#What_is_.22appropriate_content.22_for_each_of_the_TriLUG_lists.3F
(tiny url version: http://tinyurl.com/2wuce8 )

This particular answer predates even my involvement with TriLUG.  Perhaps
Ed Hill, the previous TriLUG FAQ maintainer could speak more to who
originated this particular answer.  But, I do think it it is worthwhile to note
what it says, and I ask apologies for quoting a large section of it here:
----------------------
Occasionally the list will drift slightly off-topic, it happens. This
is a community. The best thing to do in those occasions is to just
wait and let the thread die. Past experience has shown that attempts
to squelch a particular topic usually result in a flame war that
dwarfs the off-topic thread. Before you respond with a 'THIS IS OFF
TOPIC' sit back and read your response. Does it contribute? Is it
merely prolonging a thread that would otherwise have died? Will it
cause the list to errupt in flames (most likely)? If so, don't post
it. If you really feel a need, send your response to the steering
committee. They'd be happy to chat with you about it.

In general, the TriLUG list stays on topic. We have great discussions
and question & answer posts that help not only our membership, but
others that read posts via the web archives (thanks to Google). It's a
great list, it's a community. There is some noise, for sure, but the
signal far outweighs it.

So please, don't take it upon yourself to tell people what they can
and cannot post. People are generally smart enough to think before
they post. Occasionally, when someone hits the send button a little
too early, or cannot find a better outlet, something way off in left
field will slip through. Just let it go. If you really feel a need,
send it to the steering committee (steering(at)trilug.org). If it's
way out there, the SC will likely send the original poster a direct
e-mail, politely requesting they stay on topic. Please, don't take the
law (as it were) into your own hands. :)

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace