[TriLUG] The TriLUG Discussion List

Matt Frye mattfrye at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 12:27:47 EDT 2007

On 6/1/07, Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler at gmail.com> wrote:
>...don't take it upon yourself to tell people what they can
> and cannot post.

Note that I described the items as guidelines.  I'm not writing
policy, or laws as it were, and I'm open to suggestions.

For the time being, consider 2) amended to read "jobs in North
Carolina and surrounding areas."  In this case, surrounding areas
would include metropolitan areas in adjacent states where to which an
NC resident might reasonable move or commute.  I think that represents
a good compromise.

> If you really feel a need,
> send it to the steering committee (steering(at)trilug.org).

While we are still sorting out what to do about access to steering@,
please use the contact form at http://www.trilug.org/contact or email
me (or any SC member directly).

On 6/1/07, J.C. Jones <jonesjc at intrex.net> wrote:
> I believe that suggestions should not be summarily dismissed by one
> steering committee member.

This is a reasonable expectation, and the SC will consider suggestions
as a group.  Bear in mind that off-the-cuff responses from any one SC
member don't have to be taken as a judgment final.  People often make
comments without the benefit of consideration,.

On 6/1/07, burnett at pobox.com <burnett at pobox.com> wrote:
> I do strongly prefer that a job posting to the TriLUG list describe a
> significant Linux component.

Agreed.  I understand some members might want to see all jobs posts
regardless of area of speciality, but I think those are for another
list.

On 6/1/07, Phillip Rhodes <mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk> wrote:
> I think that 99% of the "problem" with any given job-posting is people
> complaining about said job posting, not the posting itself.

I think many people agree with this view.  Complaining about this post
or that post is necessarily off topic.

> I think Tri-LUG'ers who reside in the Triangle may be interested in relocating, either
> because they're unemployed or just because they're waiting for their "dream job."

My experience tells me that if you are interested in relocating, or
you're waiting for your "dream job," it's up to you to be proactive
and go look for that job.

On 6/1/07, Andrew Ball <anball at gmail.com> wrote:
> When we do have off topic posts, let's mark them with [OT]

This only helps with original posts.  If you make an offtopic comment
on a job post, technical post, etc, and the subject line doesn't
change, you're no better off.

Again, I'm open to suggestions about the guidelines that I have offered.

MPF