[TriLUG] vi or sed or perl question - joining lines

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Fri Jun 1 14:21:43 EDT 2007

Boy, that's icky. I would probably do something like this:

#!/usr/bin/perl

my $line;
my $i=1;
while (<>) {
 	chomp;
 	$line .= $_;
 	$i++;
 	if ($i == 12) {
 		print "$line\n";
 		$i = 0;
 		$line = "";
 	}
}
print "$line\n" if $line;

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu - http://perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Assistant Professor of Sociology; Book Review Editor, _Social Forces_
University of North Carolina - CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA
New Book: http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/178592.ctl